Kim and I are so excited about this crazy idea that somehow morphed into #JudyBlumeProject. Thank you so much for your encouragement and support and…general awesomeness. We’re blown away.
I’ll be brief (because details are kind of boring) but some questions have landed in our in-boxes and they’re great questions. I guess this is what happens when you love an idea so much that you run with it and then don’t sleep for 48 hours because you are dorkyhotdamnexcited (swear jar). You leave out a few details.
Here’s the Rub:
This project is kind of a giant love letter to Judy. I think Judy is a surrogate mother to so many of us. I mean, how many times did she guide us out of the weeds when we were slap-drunk on hormones and confusion?
1. Judy is awesome and such a gift to gawky, long-limbed nerds–because let’s face it. Adolescence sucks.
2. Or maybe (now as a mother) you have an issue or two with her, and that’s perfectly fine, because Judy is fearless and frank about things. Poor Mama’s hair almost lit on fire when she found a contraband copy of Forever in my closet in the 5th grade. (ps: Mama? That was C.’s book and yeah, I stole it, but I couldn’t resist). I’m re-reading Blubber as I write this and now, as a mother? Very different story. And yet universal truths remain, and it’s folly to look away from them.
3. Kim and I are casual kind of girls (eww, did I just call myself a girl?) Heh. Anyways, what I mean to say is that we want you to be yourself. Because that’s the gold–your voice, your experience, your honesty, what you choose to put on paper.
4. I suck at concise, clearly.
5. We are open to all formats: you can write a letter, have an imaginary conversation, tell a poignant story or a humorous anecdote, give us a slice-of-life moment. We are open to it all. (Hey Kim, did I make us sound hip or what?)
6. Please send your submission (preferably 500 words or less but we are forgiving) by the last day of June. Kim has a crafty link on her website for submissions but I am not electronically clever, so just email it to me.
7. Kim and I will steal Dick Cheney’s old bunker, sit down with wine and cheese and read, compile, choose and pitch. We’re building a book, and we want you in it.
8. If you want to encourage your friends to participate–do! We’re nice! Well, okay, Kim is nice–I’m a wolverine. But don’t let that scare you. Come play with us! We’re on Twitter #JudyBlumeProject and #amwriting. When you do put your submission in, please Tweet or email and let us know that you are in the hot tub. As cold as it this winter, company is good.
9. Please remember–your voice matters.
Truly. I want to extend thanks to the crazy (in a good way) people who have been so generous and supportive–because Judy is worth it.